By Peter Adey
Air is an leading edge cultural and clinical historical past that specializes in our makes an attempt to appreciate air, to engineer and grapple with it, to make feel of it and locate that means in it. For as crucial as air has been to our philosophical, clinical and technological goals, Peter Adey exhibits that it's via air that the inventive and literary mind's eye has been lifted.
Exploring the paintings of validated figures similar to Marie Curie, Joseph Priestley and John Scott Haldane, in addition to lesser-known pioneers, and together with views from portray, literature and poetry, this richly illustrated e-book will entice a person drawn to the technology in addition to the tradition of this pervasive, usually unregarded but important substance.
Read or Download Air: Nature and Culture (Earth) PDF
Similar nature & ecology books
Within the usa (U. S. ), the Fishery Conservation and administration Act of 1976, referred to now because the Magnuson-Stevens Fishery Conservation and administration Act (MSFCMA), used to be the 1st significant laws to manage federal fisheries within the U. S. Fishery Conservation area (later distinctive because the U. S. unique financial zone).
Encouraged by means of a deeply rooted feel of position and group, Appalachian ladies have lengthy fought opposed to the harmful results of industrialization. during this number of interviews, sociologist Shannon Elizabeth Bell provides the voices of twelve vital Appalachian girls, environmental justice activists battling opposed to mountaintop removing mining and its devastating results on public overall healthiness, local ecology, and group overall healthiness.
Were you aware fawns don't have any smell, an evolutionary security opposed to predators? And that the japanese gray squirrel is an impressive swimmer, which makes them rather suited to the light nation? And that, not like different avians, Florida scrub jay households remain jointly for years, with older siblings assisting to feed more youthful siblings?
This booklet deals a severe exploration of first-hand reviews of working towards weather technology. It tackles the pivotal query of what, accurately, constitutes modern clinical perform. the writer bargains an insider’s account of the event of project medical education and of practising as a weather scientist so that it will study the gulf among the best way that technology is perceived and pursued.
- The Craft of Jewellery Making - A Collection of Historical Articles on Tools, Gemstone Cutting, Mounting and Other Aspects of Jewellery Making
- ISO Standards for Geographic Information
- Fancy Pigeons: Containing Full Directions for Their Breeding and Management, With Descriptions of Every Known Variety, and All Other Information of Interest or Use to Pigeon Fanciers
- Practical Guide to Rhode Island's Wild Edible Plants
- Guide des oiseaux des forêts et campagnes (Les guides des fous de nature !) (French Edition)
- Making Collaboration Work: Lessons From Innovation In Natural Resource Managment: Lessons from Innovation in Natural Resource Management
Extra info for Air: Nature and Culture (Earth)
Air: Nature and Culture (Earth) by Peter Adey